As early as 1365, the noble house of Bosq had chosen this land to develop a vineyard. Then in the 18th century, the Scotsman George Smith bought the estate, added his name to it, built the Chartreuse and exported the already renowned barrels to England on his ships. In 1842, Mr. Duffour-Dubergier, mayor of Bordeaux but also a passionate winegrower, inherited Château Smith Haut Lafitte from his mother and made it a Grand Cru. At the beginning of the century, the Maison Louis Eschenauer realised the exceptional quality of this wine and ensured its distribution, eventually buying the property in 1958.
Since then, major investments have been made, including the construction of a superb underground cellar that allows for the simultaneous maturation of more than 1,000 barrels. In 1990, Daniel CATHIARD fell in love with the vineyard and joined the prestigious line of owners with the firm intention of continuing to develop this noble wine: his constant search for excellence led him to harmoniously combine the most modern techniques of wine making with traditional methods: living soils, organic compost, a return to small oak vats, ageing on the lees in barrels… Without a doubt, the exemplary elegance of Smith Haut Lafitte’s red wines and the sophisticated bouquet of its world-renowned white deserve this daily care.
Environmental approach: 78 hectares in conversion to organic farming, of which 50 hectares are biodynamic.