Let’s imagine the castle at the beginning of the 17th century… The first Duke of Épernon became the owner. The power of this great French admiral was such that ships passing in front of his estate had to lower their sails as a sign of allegiance. This mark of deep respect gave the estate its emblem, a ship with a griffin bow, but also its Gascon name Bêcha vêla, which means “Lowered Sail” and later became Beychevelle. Since its construction in 1565 by Bishop François de Foix-Candale, then the reign of the Dukes of Epernon (of whom the great admiral Jean-Louis Nogaret de la Valette was the first), its reconstruction in 1757 by the Marquis de Brassier, its enlargement by the Heine family, then the dynasty of the Achille-Fould family until 1986, the castle has never ceased to amaze its visitors, both by its vineyards and by its living spaces. The reputation of Beychevelle and its embellishment would not be such without the help of exceptional women such as Marie-Amélie Kohn, Madame Guestier, Madame Heine, Marie-Louise Fould or Lillette (Elisabeth de Foucaud) who have left their mark on its history, its style, its decoration, its sense of welcome and its magnificent gardens. Today, Château Beychevelle belongs to Grands Millésimes de France, owned by the Castel and Suntory groups and managed since its creation by Aymar de Baillenx.
Environmental approach: ISO 14001 certification and integrated management, with part of the vineyard under organic farming.