About the property :
Surface : 78 Ha
Owner : Mr and Mrs Cathiard
Production : 180 000 bottles of Premier Vin (Red and White)
Geology : Graves gunziennes, gravel-limestone
As early as 1365, the noble house of Bosq had chosen this terroir to exploit a vineyard. Then in the 18th century, the Scotsman George Smith bought the estate, added his name to it, built the Chartreuse and exported the already famous barrels to England on his ships. In 1842, Mr. Duffour-Dubergier, mayor of Bordeaux but also a passionate winegrower, inherited Château Smith Haut Lafitte from his mother and made it a Grand Cru. At the beginning of the century, the Maison Louis Eschenauer realized the exceptional quality of this wine and ensured its distribution, finally buying the property in 1958.
Since that time, important investments have been made. In 1990, Daniel and Florence CATHIARD fell in love with the vineyard and joined the prestigious line of owners with the firm intention of continuing to develop this noble wine: their permanent search for excellence leads them to harmoniously combine the most modern techniques of wine making with traditional methods.
Environmental approach: 78 Ha in conversion to Organic Agriculture, of which 50 Ha are Biodynamic.