About the property :
Surface: 170 Ha of estate, of which 92 Ha are vines
Geology : Clay and sandy soil and Garonne gravel of Günz
Production: 240 000 bottles
Carbonnieux was first mentioned in 1234, during the Hundred Years’ War, which makes it one of the oldest estates in Pessac-Léognan and explains the fortified military architecture of the Château Carbonnieux buildings. For a long time, Château Carbonnieux belonged to the Benedictine monks of Saint-Croix Abbey before the property was confiscated during the French Revolution. Château Carbonnieux went into a slow decline from the second half of the 19th century, when the vineyard was ravaged by phylloxera. Then, the two world wars and the wine overproduction crisis of the 1930s nearly finished off the estate for good. Thus, in the 1950s, the buildings were totally dilapidated and the vineyard had less than half its exploitable surface.
It was in 1956, the year of the great frost, which destroyed the rest of the vines still standing, that the Perrin family bought Château Carbonnieux and gradually worked to restore the property. Anthony Perrin ran Carbonnieux from 1982 to 2008. His children, Eric and Philibert Perrin, have now taken over the reins. Carbonnieux is a Graves Cru Classé for both white and red wines.
Environmental approach: Sustainable agriculture, certified HVE level 3 (High Environmental Value), member of the first EMS association in Bordeaux, (Environmental Management System) certified ISO 14001