About the property :
Surface: 20 Ha
Production: 45 000 bottles of Clos Fourtet and 20 000 bottles of second wine.
Geology: Clay and limestone
Called ‘Camp Fourtet’ in the Middle Ages, this superb property was a fortified place designed to protect the city of Saint Emilion. The peace and quiet has now been restored and the estate has kept its stone enclosures which make the Château walled, giving it a very special atmosphere.
On the limestone plateau veiled by aeolian sands which constitutes the privileged terroir of the great wines of Saint-Emilion, Clos Fourtet is both one of the best situated and one of the oldest reputed crus. It is one of the most visited and admired wine-producing sites in Saint-Emilion. It owes its fame to the Rulleau family and the Carles family, lords of Figeac, who, during the 18th century, knew how to make the most of this ungrateful soil with little arable land but with exceptional natural drainage: the vine produces little because it suffers, an essential condition for the production of very great wines. The Lurton family took over the Château in 1949 and has made progress with the vineyard and its wines, particularly over the last 10 years. In 2001, the property was bought by Philippe Cuvelier, who continued to modernise it.
source : www.closfourtet.com