About the property
Appellation : Pauillac
Owner : Rouzaud Family
Surface area: 75 ha
Production: 250,000 bottles
Viticulture : Ecological (ecological approach but no certification)
“A First Class Second Growth”: What better formula than that of the Wine Spectator magazine to describe Château Pichon Lalande! The latter is the result of the division, in 1850, of the original Château Pichon Longueville, when the owner established the inheritance of his children: his son took over the current Pichon Longueville Baron, while his daughter Virginie, wife of the Count of Lalande, received the other part of the property, hence the ending: “Comtesse de Lalande”. A woman of authority, passionate about wine, Virginie was responsible for the development and consecration of the estate. The estate remained in the hands of the founding family until 1925, when it was bought by Edouard and Louis Miailhe.
From 1978 to 2007, it was another great lady who took the reins: May-Eliane de Lencquesaing, Edouard Miailhe’s daughter. Grand Chancellor of the Bordeaux Wine Academy, she is nicknamed “the General”, given her husband’s military career. The feminine imprint left by the Countess a century earlier could not have been better echoed. Moreover, the passionate career of Pichon Lalande is far from being foreign to the tenderness and affection that wine lovers have always had for the estate’s wines. The property was bought in 2007 by the Rouzaud family, owners of the Roederer Champagne House among others.
Source : Idealwine