About the property :
Owner: Soubie family
Geology: Clay and limestone
Surface area: 55 Ha of vines
On 9 June 1758, Joseph de Rabar sold the estate to Guillaume Bardon, a noble bourgeois who was a member of the Gendarmes of the King’s ordinary guard. He undertook the construction of the estate’s current residence. At the time, wine estates were more like “pieds à terre” for nobility in search of greenery than real farms. In 1785, as the French Revolution approached and after the death of Guillaume Bardon, the Bordeaux merchant Jean Laporte acquired the property. This was the dawn of the 19th century and the economic boom in the Bordeaux wine industry. The house was renovated and took on its current form as a chartreuse.
He embellished it by installing a gate and a remarkable wrought iron door decorated with his monogram (JL), still visible today. In accordance with Bordeaux tradition, merchants and traders used the manor house, which had become a charterhouse, to receive potential clients. He died in 1807. His wife sold Lisennes to Étienne Delord in 1811. When Étienne Delord died, Prosper Taillefer (his partner) inherited a 104 hectare property. Louis Chasseriaud, who had made his fortune in Pulo-Penang in the Straits of Malacca in Malaysia, bought the property from Taillefer in 1861. He undertook to clear the property to plant vines.
Then Madame Ducoux, wife of a banker, bought the estate. She continued to maintain the property, described at the time as “the largest, most beautiful and best cultivated in the Entre-deux-Mers region”. But the arrival of phylloxera and mildew, two scourges of the vine, from 1880 onwards sounded the death knell of the golden age and she was forced to sell. William Taylor, an agricultural engineer, bought the property in 1899, a year of overproduction but also of recovery after the crisis of 1880.
After 39 years of operation, between periods of reconstruction, war and economic crisis, William Taylor finally sold the Château de Lisennes to Jean-Léon Soubie on 31 August 1938.
Jean-Léon Soubie and his wife Marie Gabrielle took over 82 hectares of mixed farming. The presence of several cement vats attests to the importance given to viticulture by William Taylor. For the first time, a family was to make a lasting impression on the history of the estate.