About the property :
Owner: de Schepper family
Geology: Gravel, sand and clay
Area: 15 ha with a density of 10,000 vines/ha.
Emile and Ghislaine started their activity in 1939 in the elaboration of genever and liqueurs. Ten years later, they decided to import and distribute a range of French wines.
A letter dated 26 April 1950, sent from Libourne by Emile De Schepper to his wife in Ghent, tells us that the next day the property named Château La Tour Baladoz would change hands and become their first wine château. The estate, located in Saint-Laurent des Combes, in the Saint-Emilion Grand Cru appellation, includes a mansion, a winegrower’s house, a wine storehouse, vats, vines (5ha 56ares) and quarries.
Busy with the commercial development of his Belgian company, Emile De Schepper entrusts the management of Château Tour Baladoz to a Bordeaux manager. The wine is only exported in barrels to Belgium for bottling in Ghent in the Rabotvins winery.
Emile’s two sons, Firmin and Jacques De Schepper, join their parents in running the companies in Belgium and Bordeaux and gradually take over the reins. In Belgium, they orient the company towards a specialisation in wines and aperitifs.
At the beginning of 1992, Marc Raymond, the manager of Château Haut Breton Largaudière decided to retire. From then on, Château Tayet, his property in Macau in the Bordeaux Supérieur appellation, became the third wine estate operated by the De Schepper family.
The family acquires its fifth property located in Ludon in the Bordeaux Supérieur appellation. The total surface area of the vineyards cultivated by the De Schepper family then amounted to 55 hectares.
In order to be able to meet the growing sales of Bordeaux Supérieur wines, the family bought a 35 hectare property, including 30 hectares of vines in the communes of Flaujagues and Sainte-Radegonde. The vines are located on limestone slopes opposite Saint-Emilion and Castillon-la-Bataille.