3ème Cru Classé en 1855
In 1814, as the Napoleonic era came to an end, Major General Palmer of the British army acquired the property that was to bear his name, from a certain Jeanne de Gasq. Over the next four decades, the General invested his fortune in Palmer, extending the property by buying plots of neighbouring vineyards and creating a truly exceptional wine. By the time Palmer was sold to the Péreire banking brothers in 1853, it was a fitting testimony to the General's passion and commitment to exceptional winemaking.
The new owners were no less remarkable. These far-sighted 19th century entrepreneurs participated in the reconstruction of Paris under the direction of Haussmann and Napoleon III, the creation of a seaside resort near Bordeaux - Arcachon - and the ownership of a railway company. In addition, they invested heavily in Chateau Palmer, commissioning renowned architect Burguet in 1856 to build the elegant Cháteau distinguished by its unmistakable towers.
Facts & Figures :
Area under vine : 52 Ha
Production : 130 000 bouteilles
Soil : Croupes de graves garonnaises
Grape varieties : 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 47% Merlot, 6% Petit Verdot
Ageing : 20 à 21 mois - (40 % de barriques neuves)